In FY2018, the District was funded by the Bureau of Justice Assistance to develop a five-year strategic plan under the Statewide Recidivism Reduction Strategic (SRR) Plan Program. As a part of District’s effort to reduce recidivism, the State-wide Recidivism Reduction Reentry Taskforce (SRR) was formed during the development of the District’s strategic plan. During this process, two target populations, women and young adults, were identified as especially vulnerable to recidivism in the District. As a result, emphasis has been placed on supports for these two groups within the District’s strategic plan.
In FY2019, the BJA extended additional funding for the District under the SRR Implementation Plan Program, which funds a two-year implementation of select activities from the District’s five-year strategic plan. During this implementation period DOC will partner with the District agencies on the SRR Taskforce to:
- Establish enhanced strategic communication about the strategies implemented under the strategic plan.
- Enhance information sharing in the District through draft legislative language related to information sharing among District Government agencies.
- Develop and distribute age- and gender-specific resources through the DC DOC that target the specific reentry needs of women and young adults.
- Incorporate the use of evidence-based program evaluation to examine the effectiveness of programming, and train staff for enhanced data capture and program evaluation.
- Evaluate the risk and needs assessment tools currently administered to the men and women at DC DOC.
- Expand age- and gender-specific trauma informed care training.