Citizen's Advisory Committee
The Department of Corrections (DOC) maintains a formal partnership with the community by utilizing private citizen volunteers from local businesses and educational, religious, cultural and socioeconomic sections of the community in order to enhance the mission and operations of the DOC. As advisors, the CAC links the DOC and community by communicating the views and concerns of DC citizens and helping to interpret the DOC’s role and programs to the public. The CAC meets quarterly on the 1st Thursday in June, September, December and March. In addition, the Director may call “special sessions” if critical issues arise.
DOC With Our Citizen's Advisory Committee Team
- To facilitate ongoing, positive communication between DOC and the community
- Ensure that DOC is advised of pertinent community needs, concerns and developments
- Establish means to strengthen the agency's connections with community stakeholders
- Provide guidance and direction on available community resources
- Assist DOC in serving the pre and post release needs of the inmate population—work with the agency in indentifying mechanisms to support successful community re-integration.
Current Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) Members:
Saymendy Lloyd, Director, Women’s Wing, Chairman
Francis Campbell, ANC Commissioner, 6B10
Rev. Peter J. Ortiz, Associate Chaplain for Hispanic Inmates, Co-Chairman
Rev. Dr. Lewis Anthony, St. Lucille AME Zion Church
- Ellen-Opper-Weiner, Esq.
- Ann Keep, Co-Director, The Gatekeeper Connection
- Rev. Susan Taylor, President, Church of Scientology, Washington, DC
- Thomas Faust, Director, Department of Corrections
- Charlie Peterson, Warden, Correctional Treatment Facility
- William J. Smith, Warden, Central Detention Facility (DC Jail)